General Henry Hayes Lockwood
Henry Hayes Lockwood was born on August 17, 1814 somewhere in Kent County Delaware. It is
believed it was in the immediate Dover area.
He graduated from West point in 1836 and immediately became involved in the Seminole War. He
resigned from the U.S. Army in 1837 and he then moved back to Delaware and became a farmer in
the Dover, De. area. In 1845, with the creation of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., he was
contacted by the U.S. Navy to become a professor of mathematics at the Academy. He accepted the
position and moved to Annapolis.
In May of 1861, with the outbreak of the Civil War, Governor William Burton of Delaware
appointed Henry Hayes Lockwood as the Colonel of the newly organized 1st Delaware Infantry. The
appointment only lasted three months when the tour of duty that the Delaware soldiers had signed
up for expired.
In August of 1861 he was appointed by the U.S. Congress as a Brigadier General of Volunteers, a
position he held until the end of the Civil War. His first command was to command the prision at
In June of 1863 he was appointed to command the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Division of the XII Corp
under Major General Henry Warner Slocum. This brigade became composed of the 1st Maryland,
Potomac Home brigade under the command of Col. William P. Maulsby, the 1st Maryland, Eastern
Shore Infantry Regiment under the command of Col. James Wallace and the 150th New York
Regiment under the command of Col. John H. Ketcham.
At Gettysburg, the Twelfth Corps distinguished itself by its gallant defence of Culp's Hill. At one
time during the battle, the corps having been ordered to reinforce a distant part of the line, Greene's
Brigade, of Geary's Division, was left behind to hold this important point. While occupying this
position on Culp's Hill, with no other troops in support, Greene was attacked by Johnson's
Division, but the attack was successfully repulsed. The details of this particular action form an
interesting chapter in the history of the war. Still, some of Johnson's troops effected, without
opposition, a lodgment in the vacated breastworks of the Twelfth Corps, and upon the return of
those troops a desperate battle ensued to drive the Confederates out.
After a long, hard fight the corps succeeded in re-occupying its works. General Lockwood's brigade
was in the action. On no part of the field did the Confederate dead lie thicker than in front of the
Twelfth Corps position. Johnson's Division, containing 22 regiments, lost in this particular action,
229 killed, 1,269 wounded, and 375 missing; total, 1,873. To this must be added whatever loss
occurred in Smith's, Daniel's, and O'Neil's brigade,-- containing 14 regiments,-- which were sent to
Johnson's support. The Twelfth Corps, containing 28 regiments, lost 204 killed, 810 wounded, and
67 missing; total, 1,081. General Slocum was in command of the right wing at Gettysburg, which left
General A. S. Williams, of the First Division, in command of the corps; General Thos. H. Ruger of
the Third Brigade, First Division, took Williams' place as commander of the "Red Star" Division;
General Geary commanded the "White Star," or Second Division.
After the Battle of Gettysburg Lockwood's brigade along with the XII corp were dispatched to
Pursue General Robert E. Lee's army, without much success, which they did until July 24th, 1863.
Lockwood was shortly afterwards appointed as garrison commander at Harper's Ferry and soon was
reappointed as commander of the Middle Dept. at Balitmore, Md.
From his duty at Baltimore he was appointed to command the 2nd Division of the V Army Corp
under Maj.-Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren and the corp was directed toward what was to become
known as the Battle of Cold Harbor which took place from May 21 - June 3, 1864. Lockwood's
participation in this battle is currently being researched.
Soon after Cold Harbor Lockwood performed departmental duties in Maryland and then led troops
against Early's Washington raid.
After the war Lockwood once again became a professor of Mathematics at the U.S. Naval Academy
in Annapolis, Md. Later he also served at the Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. from which
he retired in 1876.
He stayed in Washington where he died on December 7, 1899. He was interred in the United States
Naval Academy Cemetery in Annapolis, Maryland.
|Delaware Military History