In 1949, the Delaware Army Guard was authorized to expand to brigade strength. Units consisted of the 261st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Brigade, the 160th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Group, the 156th expanded from the 736th and a new 945th (later the 280th) was a reorganization of the pre-war 261st Coast Artillery. The former 945th in Kent County (the old second battalion of the 198th Coast Artillery) was redesignated the 193d Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion. The reorganization was hardly underway when in June 1950 North Korea moved south across the 38th Parallel and the United States was at war again - though "police action" was the favored term. The 736th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion was at summer camp when word came of its order into Federal service, along with several other small detachments. About one-third of the Army National Guard, both in Delaware and nationwide, went on active duty. The 736th served first at Fort Stewart, Georgia, then moved to Fort Meade, Maryland, where with its 90mm guns, it became one of the first units in the newly-established Air Defense of Baltimore and Washington. By the time the unit was returned to the State in 1952, few of its original members were still with it. Most had been transferred out and many saw combat service in Korea with other units under the policy of individual replacement then in effect.
Twenty five officers and about 100 airmen eventually served overseas, mostly in Korea. Nineteen pilots saw combat. DE ANG pilot 1st Lt Walter C. Stewart of Glenmore Pennsylvania was killed in action 23 April 1951 while attempting a low altitude ejection on returning to base for emergency landing after an explosion in his F-84E Thunderjet (49-2426) while a member of 523rd Fighter Escort Squadron.
Delaware Air Guard pilot 1st Lieutenant Charles D. Hogue of Philadelphia was listed as missing in action. On 13 December 1951 twenty miles northeast of Sinanju, a flight of enemy fighter aircraft was encountered and during the ensuing action, Lieutenant Hogue of the 334th Fighter Interceptor Squadron radioed that he believed he had been hit. It is believed that he was hit by MiG-15 ace Pavel S. Milaushkin (176th GIAP/324th IAD) . During the remainder of the engagement, which continued for about four minutes, visual and radio contact was lost with Lieutenant Hogue's F-86. However, a subsequent radio message received by the element leader indicated that the missing pilot was apparently south of Chinnampo and in no difficulty. The F- 86 failed to return to base and all efforts to locate it and the fate of the pilot were unsuccessful. Lt. Charles D. Hogue went missing in action and was presumed dead. Of the original Delaware Air Guard pilots, twenty remained on active duty with the Air Force at the conclusion of the war.
The quietude was broken on June 25, 1950 when North Korean forces invaded the South and started the Korean War. The 336th Fighter Interceptor Squadron “Rocketeers” was posted to the recently re-named Dover Air Force base for a brief period on August 13, 1950. Assigned to the 4th Fighter Group, they trained at Dover until November when they were deployed to air combat in Korea flying F-86A Sabrejets. The 336th was a lineal descendant of the famous Royal Air Force “Eagle Squadron” during World War II. . The field reactivated in 1951 and was assigned under the Air Defense Command. Dover’s proximity to major industrial cities, as well as the nation’s capitol made it an ideal location for the air defense mission. The federalized 148th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the Pennsylvania Air National Guard was assigned to Dover flying F-51 Mustangs. During their tenure at Dover they would transition to republic F-84C Thunderjets, and then F-94 B and F-94C Starfire interceptor aircraft. The Lockheed F-94 Starfire was the United States Air Force's first operational jet-powered all-weather interceptor aircraft. It was a development by Lockheed of the twin-seat T-33 Shooting Star trainer aircraft. In July of 1951 a twin-engine Grumman SA-16 (later HU-16A) Albatross flying boat was assigned to Dover AFB for air rescue duties.
A year later the 80th Air Base Squadron activated, maintained and provided support services for the squadron and three other tenant units, including the 1737th Ferrying Squadron, Detachment 1909-6 Airways and Communications Services, and Detachment 4, 9th Weather Group. The 1737th delivered aircraft including single-engine fighters to North Atlantic Treaty Organization countries. In 1952 it pioneered “Operation High Flight” flying fighter aircraft across the Atlantic Ocean for delivery to Air Force units abroad and to our NATO allies. It ferried over 2000 aircraft each year including 260 in one record-breaking month. It also developed a “High Flight” program returning aircraft from Europe to the Untied States. The 1737th Ferrying Squadron was an element of the Continental Division, Military Air Transport Service, headquarters at Kelly Air Force Base Texas,
In November, 1952 the 46th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, 4709th Air Defense Wing relieved the demobilized Pennsylvania Air Guard 148th FIS, in the interceptor role at Dover AFB, also flying F-94 “Starfires”. Their job was to “stay aware and counter any attack by the Russian Bear.” They maintained four F-94s of their twenty assigned aircraft on twenty four hour alert “cocked and loaded” for an airborne launch within five minutes. The 46th would remain until July 1, 1958. In November one C-45G and two AT-11 aircraft were assigned to Dover.
On May 27, 1953 an order condemning 634 acres of land owned by the City of Dover was signed and ownership of the Base was passed to the United States Air Force. A payment of $35,000 was proffered to the City of Dover based on the city estimate of investment and improvements for the land before WWII.
The Korean Crisis spurred another round of furious activity and expansion. The former collection of wartime-expedient frame and tarpaper buildings put great limitations on the mission and had to be replaced by functional facilities. By October 1953, $22 million had been spent on facilities that would later total some $65 million among nine separate contractors. The expansion included dozens of structures including dormitories, mess halls, officer quarters, warehouses, as well as a post office, fire department, NCO and Officers Club, school, chapel, hospital, theater, gymnasium, laboratory and other necessary buildings. Dover AFB was now a self contained, and self supporting city. Dover AFB retained the Fighter Interceptor Wing as part of the East Coast Defense System, but now added a new mission that would dwarf previous uses.
On 1 September 1949, the military facilities at the airport were assigned to Continental Air Command (ConAC) and the Air Force Reserve 512th Air Base Group became the host unit, remaining so until 31 January 1951 when it was reassigned to Reading Municipal Airport, Pennsylvania,. In 1950 the facility was renamed "New Castle Air Force Base" and on 8 September 1950, the 4th Fighter-Interceptor Wing, equipped with the F-86A Sabre was reassigned to New Castle, giving the airfield an air-superiority mission. The 4th FIW was deployed to Japan on 10 November 1950, with a mission to counter the MiG threat in the skies of Korea. The 4th FIW became the top MiG killing organization during the Korean War. In addition to the 4th FIW, the 334th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron was activated on the base in 1950, initially flying F-80 Shooting Stars, and in 1952, being replaced by F-94 Starfires. In 1952, the 334th was involved in a UFO incident when its interceptors were scrambled to intercept unknown objects detected flying over Washington, D.C.
The 512th ABG was replaced by the Federalized Delaware Air National Guard's 113th Air Base Group becoming the host unit on 1 February 1951. The mission of the 113th was to organize, administer, equip, train and prepare assigned personnel for combat and to maintain a level of operational effectiveness. During its tenure as host unit, the Air Force Reserve and the 512th Troop Carrier Group flying C-46 Commandoes (325th, 326th, 327th and 328th Troop Carrier Squadrons) returned from Reading after it closed as a reserve facility. The 512th remained at New Castle as a reserve tenant unit until being reassigned to Willow Grove Air Reserve Station, Pennsylvania on 20 July 1958.
With its activation ended in 1952, the 113th was replaced by the 82d Air Base squadron on 2 January 1952.
New Castle Airport was reassigned to Air Defense Command (ADC) on 16 February 1953, and the 4710th Defense (later Air Defense) Wing became the host unit. (16 February 1953-1 March 1956). With its activation, the base was assigned to the Eastern Air Defense Force 26th Air Division In addition, plans were made to elevate the base to a full USAF installation.In March 1953, the F-94C Starfire 332d Fighter-Interceptor Squadron joined the 334th FIS at New Castle.
Less than a month after the U.S. entered the war, Delawarean Paul N. Dill was sent to Korea and promoted to command of Company M, 31st Regiment, 7th Infantry Division. He and his company were in most of the big battles, including the Inchon invasion, recapture of Seoul and the advance to the Yalu River's banks, the veterans' post says. "Dill was in the team that raised a U.S. flag on the Manchurian border during the northernmost United Nations advance on Dec. 1, 1950."
But as Dill's situation deteriorated with Chinese troops vastly outnumbering Americans, "his unit was forced to retreat to a reservoir near Chosin. Paul was wounded several times during the [Dec. 1] retreat, but continued in command of his unit, bringing the men back to their company area. "Masses of Chinese Reds ringed the company, then battered the group, then attacked, overwhelming the Yanks. [On Dec. 2] Lt. Dill was shot through the chest and throat during an attack."
A wartime memoir by Maj. Hugh Robbins, written as he recovered from wounds at Chosin Reservoir, recalled the last time he saw Dill in a mud hut turned makeshift hospital. "Casualties in the battalion ran high, especially among the officers," he wrote. Robbins recalled seeing Dill there and called him "one fine officer." Soldiers later loaded Dill and other wounded into a truck for evacuation to the south, several accounts say.
The Morning News gave this account of the last time Dill was seen alive: "A red [Chinese] patrol overtook the truck, shot the crew and pulled the wounded from the vehicle. Paul and the other victims were drenched in gasoline, then their clothing was set aflame."
Dill was listed as missing the next day, Dec. 3, 1950 -- 10 days after his wife received his last letter.
In July 1951, Newark Delaware native O'Daniel went to Korea to command 1st Corps, 8th Army for his last combat assignment. During his service in Korea, he was awarded the Air Medal for meritorious achievement on flights from July 21 to August 14, 1951 and the Commendation Ribbon for meritorious achievement on July 18, 1951. General O’Daniel gained an appreciation for the use of airpower saying "The airlift to Korea is one of the greatest developments of this war. It gives a commander advantages he never had in wars before." He pinned on his third star on December 20th 1951. On September 1, 1952, General O’Daniel became commanding general of U.S. Army Forces Pacific returning once again to Fort Schafter, Hawaii.
McCafferty, president of his senior class at Middletown High, joined the Army Air Corps in 1943, won his wings in 1944. He became a B-17 pilot, flying 12 combat missions over Europe. Then came the Korean War where he flew 100 fighter-bomber sorties. In Vietnam, he flew eight missions.Wallace B. McCafferty (1918-1987) flew combat in three wars, including 100 missions in Lockheed F-80s over Korea.
George R. "TAPS" Taylor Delaware bugler and Korean War vet George R. Taylor has received national recognition with the Daughters of the American Revolution Community Service Award. The national award praised him as the only trumpeter playing taps in the Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey area on a regular basis. "He's just amazing," said Geraldine Dorman, regent of the Cooch's Bridge Chapter, which nominated him. "Do you know he's played taps more than 10,000 times?"
Widely known for the unpaid, solemn duty, Taylor has earned the nickname "Taps." He has played taps at funerals of veterans of World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Gulf War and the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. In a time of a national shortage of buglers to play the classic tribute, Taylor has played it for more than 60 years and as many as six times in a single day.
First Lieutenant Layton was from Georgetown, Delaware. He was the pilot of a F-86A Sabrejet fighter interceptor with the 335th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, 4th Fighter-Interceptor Group. On September 2, 1951, while on a combat mission, his flight of two F-86s fought with a flight of six MiG-15s. When his aircraft was hit, he bailed out near the mouth of the Chongchon River. He was listed as Missing in Action and was presumed dead on March 31, 1954.
Lt. Roger W. Gottschall, Brack-Ex Pilot Coming Home After 100 Missions in Korea (Wilmington newspaper article)
Lt. Roger W. Gottschall, First Delaware Guardsman Sent Overseas; Reached Combat Quota in Six Months; Flew in Infantry Support
Wilmington Del. 1952 - In some ways it’s been a short war for Lt. Roger W. Gottschall, 26, of 215 Central Avenue, Brack-Ex. Six months ago Lieutenant Gottschall went to Japan, the first of the Delaware Air National Guard to ship overseas. Today he is in Korea, waiting orders for home on rotational assignment and chaffing under the comparatively dull duties as an instructor. I those six months however, there were 100 combat missions over the Korean battlefront in his F-80 jet fighter.
Thus Lt. Roger Gottschall – first Delaware Guard pilot sent to the Far East, first to go into combat, will be the first to come home. He has been married for three years and before going to Korea was a pilot with the 142nd Fighter Squadron at the New Castle County Airport. His wife Mrs. Virginia Gottschall 22, has been working as a dental assistant in the VA hospital in Brack-Ex. There have been letters from her husband throughout the six months, but none were as important as the last one which told her that the 100th mission was over.
“He didn’t write much about his flying while it was going on,” Mrs. Gottschall said today, “but in the last letter he said there were times the going had been too close, he hadn’t been sure he would return.” The lieutenant wrote that when he reached Japan he had to train for a while in F-80’s which was ironic since he had been flying the more advanced F-84 here at New Castle County Airport. However, his was to be the grueling daily task of flying ground support for the infantry and interdiction combat over the battlefield, first from airfields in Japan, but most of the time from Korea. His duties covered strafing runs on convoys and enemy troops, the rocket attacks against tanks and gun emplacements, the napalm (fire bomb) runs to silence a stubborn pillbox blocking the UN advance. Lieutenant Gottschall and his fellow airmen were the ones the foot soldiers called for help when they needed air support.
The first Sabrejets in Delaware were assigned to Dover Air Force Base. The 336th Fighter Interceptor Squadron “Rocketeers” was posted to the recently re-named Dover Air Force base August-November, 1950 training for combat in Korea with F-86 Sabrejets.
Soon thereafter, F-86s arrived at New Castle as well. In 1950 the facility was renamed "New Castle Air Force Base" and on 8 September 1950, the 4th Fighter-Interceptor Wing, equipped with the F-86A Sabre was reassigned to New Castle, giving the airfield an air-superiority mission. The 4th FIW was deployed to Japan on 10 November 1950, with a mission to counter the MiG threat in the skies of Korea. The 4th FIW became the top MiG-killing organization during the Korean War.
In December 1950, the group (now designated the 4th Fighter-Interceptor Group) was the first unit to commit F-86 Sabre jets to that conflict. Lt. Col. Bruce H. Hinton shot down a MiG-15 on Dec. 17 during the first Sabre mission of the war. Four days later, Lt. Col. John C. Meyer, a World War II ace, led elements of the group into the first major all-jet fighter battle in history. The flight element downed six MiG-15s without sustaining any losses. Fourth airmen destroyed 502 enemy aircraft (54 percent of the total), becoming the top fighter unit of the Korean War. Twenty-four pilots achieved ace status.
The Newark Delaware Chrysler Corporation Assembly Plant manufactured over 6000 M 48 “Patton” Tanks during the period 1951-1959. Chrysler's first production M48 rolled out of the Delaware Tank Plant in Newark and was christened by Mrs George S Patton Junior on 1 July 1952. The first production M48s were completed in 1952 and production of the M48 series amounted to 11,703 units, about 6,000 of which were built by the Chrysler Corporation at the Delaware Tank Plant which continued production until 1959.
Kenneth Rowe (No Kum-Sok), North Korean defector, Univ. of DE engineering student No Kum-Sok (later Kenneth Rowe) (born c. 1932) is known for having been a lieutenant in the North Korean Air Force during the Korean War who defected to South Korea. On September 21, 1953, he flew his MiG-15 to the Kimpo Air Base in South Korea, claiming that he wanted to get away from the "red deceit."He received a $100,000 reward offered by Operation Moolah for defecting with his aircraft, which he claimed to have not heard about prior to his defection. He later emigrated to the United States, graduated from the University of Delaware, married and became a US citizen. He worked as an aeronautical engineer for Grumman, Boeing, General Dynamics, General Motors, General Electric, Lockheed, DuPont, and Westinghouse. He was joined in the U.S by his mother, who had been evacuated from North Korea. After emigrating, he anglicized his name to "Kenneth Rowe".
Veterans Memorial Park and the Delaware Memorial Bridge, Cherry Lane, New Castle. The bridge honors veterans from Delaware and New Jersey who died fighting during World War II. The 50-acre park also pays tribute to veterans from the Korean and Vietnam wars and the first Persian Gulf war, recipients of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, the Submariners of WW II and the five service branches.
Korean War Veterans Memorial - Dover, Delaware Quick Description: Located in the memorial garden at the Air Mobility Command Museum 1301 Heritage Rd., Dover AFB, DE 19902-5301
Sussex County Korean War Memorial Inscription. In Honor and Memory of All Korean War Veterans Who Served and Died for Freedom LeRoy M Cook • Vernon L. Deshields • Gene O. Hanzer • Kenneth C. Hyslop • Laurence C. Layton • William A. Lockwood • Charles G. Messick • Darrell R. Steele • Richard B. Taylor • Irvin M Tindall • Lloyd R. Warfield, Jr. • Norman L. Whaley • Charles F. Wright • William Valachovic
Location. 38° 41.425′ N, 75° 23.136′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of East Market Street and Georgetown Circle, on the left when traveling east on East Market Street.