The Delaware Army National Guard, Post World War II
Brigadier General Kennard R. Wiggins Jr. (DE ANG Ret)
After World War II, in the summer of 1946, all the states began to reorganize their National Guard components. By the time World War II ended, all State enlistments in the National Guard had expired.
The initial organizational meeting to establish the Delaware National Guard was held on March 17, 1946 at the State Armory in Wilmington. After a planning meeting at the National Guard Bureau in the War Department in Washington, Brigadier General Paul Rinard, Adjutant General for Delaware and Colonel John Grier, U.S. Property and Fiscal Officer invited all World War II veterans from the Army and Army Air Forces to join the re-activated National Guard.
The difficult task of reorganizing began in June 1946 and 15 months later, the Guard had fully organized the 198th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Group Headquarters (federally recognized on August 27 at Wilmington) and the 736th and 945th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalions. These organizations had served in the South Pacific during the War and had been demobilized from federal service in February 1946 in Japan.
The 198th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Group was commanded by Colonel James Whaley with Lt. Col. Jim Ashton of New Castle as CO of the New Castle County 736th AAA battalion and Lt. Col. Ralph Baker as CO of the downstate 945th AAA battalion. Firing batteries were established in Laurel (Battery “A”), Georgetown (Battery “B”), Milford, (Battery “C”), and Seaford (Battery “D”). This downstate 945th AAA battalion was equipped with 40 mm towed artillery and .50 caliber machine guns. The upstate 736th AAA Battalion was equipped with 90 mm guns.
According to MG Albert Adams, “Postwar drills were held on Wednesday evenings two hours each week, along with a two week summer encampment at the Delaware National Guard training complex at Bethany Beach. A firing range was established on the beach directly across the highway from the Bethany Beach Training Site where Sussex Shores is today. Firing ranges were later established along the shore on both sides of Indian River Inlet, and some troops were quartered at Fort Miles, near Lewes.”
The state added an Air unit in September 1946, the 142nd Fighter Squadron, at New Castle, which soon after came under the newly formed Air Force, one year later.
On Veteran’s Day, 1946, the Army returned to the states the guidons and battle flags of the Delaware National Guard units that had fought in World War II. President Harry Truman in a ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery remarked, “It is my pleasure this morning symbolically to hand back the colors of the National Guard in the various states …I hope they will use them to train young men in the interests of peace and the welfare of the country. And I am sure they will do just that.”
The 287th Army Band was federally recognized in Wilmington on July 23, 1947.
In May 1949 the term of General Paul Rinard, the Adjutant General expired and Governor Carvel appointed combat veteran Joseph Scannell to fill the post as one of the youngest Adjutants General in the country. He quickly had his hands full with new challenges.
Reorganization to Brigade
In October 1949 the regiment doubled in size to brigade strength. Each of the two battalions were divided into two Anti-Aircraft Artillery battalions, and the group headquarters was divided into two group headquarters all of which were coordinated and controlled by the 261st Brigade Headquarters. There were now seven major organizations in the State.
The old 198th AAA Group became the 261st Brigade(Wilmington) and the 160th (Milford) and 198th (Wilmington) Groups.
The 736th AAA battalion became the 736th (Wilmington) and 156th (Wilmington) AAA Battalions.
The 945th AAA Battalion became the 945th (Laurel) the 193rd (Dover) and the 280th (Georgetown) AAA battalions.
The annual summer training encampments at Bethany Beach had their share of problems. The troops deployed over an area that stretched from Fort Miles at the mouth of the Delaware Bay, to Dewey Beach about ten miles south, and then to Bethany Beach a further 15 miles down the coast.
The impact areas were the same fishing areas used by commercial and pleasure boaters, one of the largest on the East Coast. This greatly complicated safety measures. The solution was to limit firing to the afternoon and early evening when most of the fishing craft were well away from the area. A liaison plane patrolled the impact area to warn away the intruders. Additionally, the firing schedule was publicized to fishermen. When weather forced cancellation of firing, that news was quickly transmitted as well for the benefit of the fishermen.
At one point, the Indian River Inlet Bridge undergoing repairs necessitated the detour of vehicular traffic forty miles around the west side of Rehoboth Bay for supply runs from Fort Miles to Bethany Beach.
The biggest training impetus was given all participating outfits when on the second day of the 1950 encampment the 736th Gun Battalion and the 361st Signal Radar Unit were given notice they would be called into active service for the Korean conflict.
In June 1950 North Korea moved south across the 38th Parallel and the United States was at war again. The Brigade reorganization was underway when the Korean War erupted. The 736th AAA battalion and several smaller units were called to federal service. About one third of the Delaware Army National Guard reported for active duty.
The 736th served at Fort Meade, Maryland, where with its 90mm guns, it became one of the first units in the newly-established Air Defense of Baltimore and Washington. By the time the unit was returned to the State in 1952, few of its original members were still with it. Most had been transferred out and many saw combat service in Korea with other units under the policy of individual replacement then in effect.
A magazine article in “Delaware Cavalcade written by Jack Hunter captures the tenor of the time. Hunter describes a summer encampment at Bethany Beach where the artillery units gather for their annual training cycle of two weeks:
“Helmeted men in drab field uniforms - all fresh from factories, offices, stores, shops, garages and schools – work smoothly and easily tending to the needs of the long-snouted monsters (90mm anti aircraft guns). Others huddle in radar trucks, their eyes watching the pale blips of light marking the target’s shell-beleaguered course. On high towers to the rear, officers - also newly arrived from home and job - watch tensely for weak points and good points.
Once a week, fifty weeks of the year more than a thousand officers and men meet at armories in the state’s most important towns. Then for two weeks of each yearthey head for the shore and undergo intense, demanding training in which they practice the lessons learned form books and drills.”
Hunter added, “The new National Guard is an integral part of the state’s day-to-day life in these modern times. Its officers and men include many important citizens - one is a mayor, another is a top-ranking surgeon, a third is a leader in business and educational fields, still another is a clergyman.
“In Delaware, the National Guard is deliberate about the men it enlists. Rather than accept men indiscriminately merely to fill the ranks, it sifts applicants carefully to assure that they are above average in intelligence and ambition. The demands of modern military science – particularly in anti-aircraft work where men must handle and understand the intricacies of electronics and high mathematics - -rule out the presence of drug store cowboys and sluggards. This has tended to keep the Guard under strength, but its officers feel that a s smaller force of capable men is always worth more than a huge body of ineffectuals.”
In the early 1950s weeknight drills were abandoned in favor of monthly weekend drills. Throughout the Cold War much reorganization, expansion and consolidation occurred in Guard units, especially in Delaware. Initially, two new anti-aircraft battalions, the 197th in Smyrna and the 945th in Laurel, were formed in the mid 1950s to meet these new challenges. In addition, two of Delaware's six battalions received the new self-propelled twin-40mm "Dusters," and two other battalions (193rd and 945th) received the 75mm "Skysweeper" guns with built in radar. At this time the 116th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital was organized in Wilmington (Marshallton).
Then, in 1959, a major reorganization, based on the "Pentomic" division structure took place within the Guard. All of Delaware's artillery units once again became part of the old regiment, and the 198th Artillery (First Delaware) became the regimental headquarters. The 156th Anti-aircraft battalion was redesignated as First Battalion, 198th Artillery. Their headquarters battery, which dated back to the Revolution, became the senior unit in the state.
The 1959 Reorganization looked like this:
Headquarters 198th Artillery, Wilmington 1st Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 198th Artillery, (formerly the 156th AA Bn) New Castle Co. Airport 2nd Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 198th Artillery, (formerly the 193 AAA Bn) Dover 3rdd Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 198th Artillery, (formerly the 280 AAA Bn) Georgetown 4th Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 198th Artillery,(formerly the 736th AAA Bn) Wilmington 5th Air Defense Artillery Battalion, 198th Artillery, (formerly the 945th AAA Bn) Laurel 6th Air Defense Artillery Detachment, 198th Artillery, Fort Miles Lewes
The 1959 reorganization increased the need for combat service support troops, causing the 197th Anti- Aircraft Artillery Battalion to reorganize as the 109th Ordnance Battalion with a transportation helicopter maintenance company.
During the 1961 Berlin Crisis three Delaware National Guard units were ordered to federal service and served for one year on active duty. The 109th Ordnance Battalion Headquarters Detachment from Middletown served at Aberdeen Proving Grounds Maryland; the 1049th Transportation Company went to Fort George Meade Maryland; and the 116th Surgical Hospital was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky where it supported the 82nd Airborne Division.
For the first time in its history, the Guard during the Berlin mobilization achieved its objective without combat; the demonstration of the nation’s willingness to mobilize and commit its swerve forces was sufficient to achieve the nation’s goals. To the men spending a year in stateside training camps the usefulness of their service at times seemed remote, but from a national standpoint it was a highly successful operation.
The Delaware Guard continued to fulfill state missions despite increasing cold war demands. In March 1962, over 2,000 Guardsmen were called upon for rescue, security and recovery operations in the devastated coastal areas of Kent and Sussex Counties. In addition, the DEARNG's M-42 "Dusters" were used to get through several severe snow storms during that time period.
Then, in 1962, the Army Guard's five air defense outfits were again reorganized, this time into automatic weapon battalions. From this point on, the National Guard furnished not only all air defense for Army divisions, but also the automatic weapon capabilities.
Although not called to active duty for the Vietnam War, Delaware Army Guard members fulfilled vital roles which made possible the heavy commitment of active forces there. From the start of the build-up in Vietnam, numbers of individual Delaware Guard members, especially aviators, volunteered for active duty.
The first unit contribution came in the fall of 1964, when the Army was testing the concept of the Airmobile Division in response to requirements from Vietnam. Since the Army had no active M-42 "Duster" units, Delaware's Second Battalion, 198th Artillery, was called on to support the Army's 82d Airborne Division in a full-scale field test of the concept. Successful results of the test led to the almost immediate organization of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) and its deployment to Vietnam. Early in 1966, a number of Army Guard enlisted specialists volunteered for six months service as instructors at Fort Bliss, Texas, when the Army found it lacked men capable of training new personnel on the intricacies of the M-42 "Duster". In this select force were seven Delaware units - the five batteries of the First Battalion, and 198th Artillery, comprising about one-third of the Delaware Army Guard strength. Other Delaware units contributed to their readiness by furnishing fully trained replacements to the Selected Reserve Force units when necessary.
Following the assassination of Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. in 1967, riots broke out in 19 major American cities. Some 68,000 National Guardsmen and 22,600 Army troops were called upon to suppress the outbreaks. In its first large-scale state activation, on April 9, 1968, the Delaware National Guard was called to state duty to quell civil disturbance and violence in the city of Wilmington, Delaware. The unit was released from state duty after several weeks. However, many individuals remained on state duty through 20 January 1969.
A New Mission
In January 1970 another sweeping reorganization gave the Delaware Guard new missions in communications and transportation in place of the artillery role it had had for nearly a half century. The Delaware organization at that time had almost 2800 citizen soldiers organized in 18 units, based in fifteen facilities. Major elements of the regiment were reorganized as the 198th signal Battalion and the 198th Transportation Battalion moving from Combat Support to Combat Service Support roles. One year later, the 198th transportation Battalion became the 280th Signal Battalion completing the transition of the Delaware Regiment to the field of Communications. A1974 Reorganization reactivated the 736th Supply and Service Battalion which had been inactivated in 1970.
The Delaware Army National Guard’s principle forces in 1970 comprised 12 units and three quarters of its strength were assigned to either the Signal Corps, which is both a combat arm and a service furnishing communications support (radio, telephone, teletype, facsimile and photography) fro other army units, or to the Transportation Corps, which furnishes ground transportation and aircraft maintenance for the Army.
Major units included:
261st Signal Command, which is responsible for planning and supervising Army communications for an entire theater of operations, and is organized like a headquarters of a medium size telephone company. (Dover)
198th Signal Battalion which furnishes radio, telephone, teletype, and still and motion picture photography to the units of the Army operating in an area of up to 1000 square miles. (New Castle Co. Airport, Smyrna, Middletown, Marshalton, Laurel)
198th Transportation Battalion, whose two truck companies and terminal transfer company can handle and transport , either long or short haul, over a thousand tones of cargo and or upwards of 5000 troops every day. (Milford, Harrington, Georgetown, Dagsboro, Seaford)
All but two of the Delaware Army National Guard units in 1970 were company sized- averaging 175 men each (though varying from 43-296 depending on the type), and are commanded by a captain or major. Nine units are housed in eleven permanent state-owned armories throughout the state, although two units are split between two armories due to their size. Seven of the armories have been built post World War II. With the federal government paying 75% of the costs of construction. The buildings are state-owned and are available for community use.
In addition to its major mission elements, the Delaware Army National Guard had four major support units, together with the State Headquarters (Wilmington), the 287th Army Band (28 piece, Wilmington) and a small Public Information detachment (Wilmington) .
Major Support Units in 1970 were:
198th Aviation Company (Assault Helicopter) which operates the helicopters and fixed wing aircraft of the DE ARNG. (New Castle Co. Airport)
1049th Transportation Company (Aircraft Maintenance) which performs all types of Army aircraft maintenance. (New Castle Co. Airport)
116th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, a sixty bed medical and surgical facility with all the capabilities of a community general hospital except the long term care of patients. It normally operates in tents close to combat units and is completely mobile. Its function is to provide immediate life-saving surgical and medical treatment before patients are evacuated to other hospitals for definitive treatment or lengthy therapy. (New Castle Co. Airport)
262nd Heavy Equipment Maintenance Company, which repairs and maintains vehicles, weapons and equipment for Army units. (State Rifle Range)
With the end of conscription and the onset of the all volunteer force Delaware faced recruiting and retention challenges shared by the rest of America’s military as it downsized and licked its wounds over the Southeast Asian War and the rebuilding years to follow. For the first time, Delaware hired and employed full-time recruiters and later offered enlistment bonuses. The all-volunteer force was implemented in January 1973 by Secretary of Defense Laird, who terminated induction of draftees. It forced two major social transformations on the National Guard. First it became a racially integrated organization because of pressure to admit blacks and the need to secure additional manpower. Second, it included women on a significant scale for the first time.
By 1986 the Delaware Army National Guard, in its annual report to the Governor reported over 2000 soldiers in an organization with two major elements; 261st Signal Command commanded by MG William Duncan and Troop Command commanded by COL James Adams.
The 261st Signal Command consisted of the following:
HHC 261 SIG CMD – CPT Sanchez, HQ 280 SIG BN – LTC Kennedy, HHQ 280 SIG BN – CPT Madden Det. 1, HC 280 SIG BN - 1LT McGinnis CO A 280 SIG BN - CPT Dunham 945th Maint. CO – CPT Morris HQ 198 SIG BN – LTC Boetcher HHC 198 SIG BN – CPT DeJohn CO A 198 SIG BN - CPT Rhoads CO B 198 SIG BN - CPT Smith CO C 198 SIB BN – CPT Hamlett
The Troop Command consisted of the following:
HHD TRP CMD - CPT Simpers 101 Public Affairs Det. – MAJ Beebe CO B, 150 – MAJ Crossan Det. 2, 140 SIG BN - CW 3 Kelly 287 Army Band – CW 2 Hockersmith 116 MASH – LTC Inguito Det 1, 116 MASH – CPT W. Hall HQ 736 S&S BN – LTC Roscoe HHD 736 S&S BN - CPT Ingle 262 MAINT CO CPT Slemko 249 ENG Det – CPT Harrell 2198 MAINT CO CPT Fleetwood
The Gulf War and Beyond
As the Total Force policy began to engage the National Guard found itself increasingly asked to do more than stand as a force in reserve. The utility of this initiative came into play during the Gulf War. In November 1990, the 249th Engineer Detachment and the 736th Supply and Service Battalion of the Delaware Army National Guard were placed on alert status and very shortly thereafter placed on active duty to participate in Operation Desert Shield.
In November 1990, the 249th Engineer Detachment and the 736th Supply and Service Battalion of the Delaware Army National Guard were placed on alert status and very shortly thereafter placed on active duty to participate in Operation Desert Shield.
The 249th was a 70-person unit consisting of carpenters, electricians, brick masons, plumbers, and pipe fitters whose mission was to provide facilities engineering at fixed installations. Their mission in Saudi Arabia was to maintain a military base camp with the number of personnel reaching 25,000. They built and repaired facilities along with minor road and construction work. After the war, the 249th completely overhauled an abandoned recreation center. Thousands of soldiers were able to reap the benefits of the 249th's efforts in the center.
The 736th had over 60 personnel who provided services to troops in the field. They distributed supplies and food, controlled critical inventory and managed logistics for King Khalid Military City. This included operating Log Base Bravo, post exchanges, mess halls and the clothing facility.
The War in Afghanistan commenced on October 7, 2001 with the purpose of eliminating al-Qaeda terrorist training camps, as well as securing the capture of Osama bin Laden. The US launched Operation: Enduring Freedom (OEF) in response to the September 11th Terrorist attacks which was planned and executed by al-Qauda operatives.
The Iraq War began on March 20, 2003 with the US/UK lead invasion against Saddam Hussein's terror based regime. Since then, the Delaware National Guard (DNG) has vigilantly supported Operation: Iraqi Freedom (OIF). Soldiers and Airmen from all across the state answered their country's call once again.
Delaware army and air units/individuals supported Operation Iraqi Freedom. The first of these units to arrive in Baghdad was the 249th Engineer Detachment. The 249th was federally mobilized from February 2003- April 2004. The detachment supported reconstruction efforts throughout the capital city, Baghdad, Iraq.
The 249th Engineers completed their mission without casualties, in-spite of small-arms fire rocket, and mortar attacks.
Delaware army and air units/individuals have supported OIF since 2003. The first of these units to arrive in Baghdad was the 249th Engineer Detachment. The 249th was federally mobilized from February 2003- April 2004. The detachment supported reconstruction efforts throughout the capital city, Baghdad, Iraq.
They worked on plumbing, carpentry, and electrical, including construction projects on the Baghdad International Airport (BIAP), local Iraqi police stations, and even restoring electricity to the famous Baghdad Zoo. The 249th Engineers completed their mission without casualties, in-spite of small-arms fire (SAF), rocket, and mortar attacks.
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM DEPLOYED UNITS 2003 153rd MP Company 249th Engineer Det. Bravo/150th Aviation Regt. 2004 160th Engineer Company 945th Trans. Company 2005 280th Signal Battalion 2006 198th Signal Battalion 2007 153rd MP Company 2008 261st Signal Brigade 2009 262nd CS Company
The Delaware National Guard is in an almost continuous state of employment serving as an operational force for the United States Army. They have deployed around the world in nation- building exercises, peacekeeping missions and in support roles for ground combat. They are poised to continue a tradition of service over 350 years long on behalf of the state of Delaware and the United States of America.
The Delaware Army National Guard continues to make a contribution to the defense of the United States on a continuing basis.
Today the Delaware Army National Guard consists of the following units
JOINT FORCE HEADQUARTERS (ARMY)
The mission of the Army's JFHQ is to provide command and control of all national guard units assigned to the state to provide trained, equipped and ready forces capable of mobilizing and deploying in support of their federal and state mission, and when required, conduct missions authorized by the national command authority and/or the governor.
Joint Force Headquarters Detachment serves as the senior headquarters for command and control for the manning, maintaining, training and sustaining of the forces assigned to the state. JFHQ has a wide variety of functions to include (but not limited to) planning and preparing for mobilization of national guard units, planning, preparing, and providing military assistance to civil authorites in support of domestic operations, as well as supporting the state's civil and homeland security initiatives.
193rd RTI The 193rd Regiment (RTI) provides regionalized combat arms, leadership, military occupational specialty (MOS), additional skill identifier (ASI), noncommissioned officer education system (NCOES), and general studies training for the Army National Guard (ARNG), United States Army Reserve (USAR), and the active component (AC). The 193rd Regiment also monitors and coordinates academic instruction, food, and lodging (where available) for Soldiers participating in courses and training at its training sites.
Recruiting & Retention Command To provide command and control, staff planning, management, accession, and supervision of assigned and attached recruiting and retention personnel and equipment. The recruiting and retention command operates the direct support dimension of the recruitment of personnel within the state; develop and manage the financial manpower; information management resources necessary to support the strength maintenance division, and provide support to the state.
1981st Support Detachment (CCT) The 1981st Contingency Contracting Team (CCT) has a mission of planning and coordinating all contracting functions at the brigade contract team level. CCTs are usually asigned to a HQ Contingency Contracting Battalion normally attached to a Brigade size unit for mission support. CCT employment generally supports a Sustainment BDE/BCT, normally OPCON to an Army Field Support Brigade (AFSB) unless HQ Principle Assistant Responsible for Contracting (HQ PARC) is deployed.
Mobilization Command The Mobilization Command provides staffing, analysis, and management support to the Army Operations Center (AOC) and National Guard Bureau Emergency operations center, and other branches within the HQDA staff. The Mobilization Command is capable of providing research and anaysis on critical issues including, but not limited to, those affecting public affairs, operations, mobilization readiness, training, (individual, collective, and unit), information systems, logistics, historical research, law, and force structure.
Medical Detachment The state medical command will plan, program, provide, and sustain health force protection and medical/dental support to meet operational, training, and mobilization medical readiness requirements of ARNG units and Soldiers.
Detachment 7 OSAC OSAC detachments provide fixed wing operational airlift in support of state national guard, military departments and federal agencies as scheduled by the ARNG operational support airlift command. They also provide a trained fixed wing organization to support peacetime, state emergencies, national emergencies, natural disasters, contingencies or wartime missions.
261ST SIGNAL BRIGADE
The 261st Tactical Theatre Signal Brigade provides and manages communications and information systems. The brigade supports the command and control of the Active Army (during federal missions) and the Delaware Army National Guard (during state missions). The HQ company of the 261st is currently deployed in support of Operation: Iraqi Freedom. The brigade's home headquarters is located in Smyrna, DE.
The 261st Theater Tactical Signal Brigade (TTSB) provides command and control to assigned and attached units. The 261st Signal Brigade supervises the installation, operation, and maintenance of up to 16 NODES in the theater communications system excluding the division and corps systems.
The HHC, 261st Theater Tactical Signal Brigade is employed to command and control echelons above corps (EAC) tactical signal battalions, theater strategic organizations, and separate companies as required to support theater communications networks.
The 261st Signal Brigade began it's lineage in 1924 as the 261st Coast Artillery Battalion in the Delaware National Guard. The 261st was activated to federal service on 27 Jan 1941. Their mission was coastal defense operations during WWII. After the war, the 261st was returned to National Guard status and absorbed into the 198th and 21st Coast Artillery Regiments.
The modern 261st TTSB is a mobile force able to rapidly deploy, supporting both state and federal missions. The 261st Signal Brigade is currently federalized, managing communications in support of Operation: Iraqi Freedom.
198th Expeditionary Signal Battalion (ESB) The 198th Signal Battalion provides command, control, and supervision of organic and assigned units. To provide nodal and extension communications support for the Combatant Commanders of unified or specified commands, Army Service Component Commanders (ASCC), or Joint Task Force/Joint Forces Land Component Commands (JTF/JFLCC).
31ST CIVIL SUPPORT TEAM (WMD)
The 31st Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team maintains the capability to mitigate the consequences of any WMD/NBC event, whether natural or man-made. They are experts in WMD effects and NBC defense operations. The CST supports local and state authorities at domestic WMD/NBC incident sites by identifying agents and substances, assessing current and projected consequences, advising on response measures, and assisting with requests for additional military support.
The mission of the CST is to assess a suspected WMD attack, advise civilian responders on appropriate actions through on-site testing and expert consultation, and facilitate the arrival of additional state and federal military forces.
The CST is composed of 22 people, 7 Officer and 15 Enlisted, from both the Army and Air National Guard, with a variety of specialties. Assigned vehicles include a command vehicle, operations van, a communications vehicle called the Unified Command Suite (provides a broad range of communications capabilities including satellite communications), an Analytical Laboratory System van (contains a full suite of analysis equipment to support the medical team, and other general purpose vehicles). The CST normally deploys using its assigned vehicles, but can be airlifted if required. A deployment distance of up to 250 miles can usually be covered faster by surface travel, given the time required to recall an aircrew and stage an aircraft.
As the CST is on standby 24/7, the advanced echelon will deploy within 90 minutes of notification and the rest of the team within three hours. This quick response gives the CST the ability to support the incident commander with critical information rapidly. The CST Commander can advise the incident commander as to the type and level of hazard present, possible courses of action, and additional National Guard assets that are available.
72ND TROOP COMMAND (BRIGADE)
The 72nd Troop Command (Brigade) provides command, control, and supervision to Army National Guard units attached, so as to provide trained and equipped units capable of immediate expansion to war strength and available for service in time of war or national emergency or when appropriate to augment the active army. The 72nd Troop Command's state mission is providing command, control, and supervision to assigned ARNG units employed in support of civil authorities in the protection of life and property and the preservation of peace, order, and public safety under competent orders of state authorities.
721st Troop Command
The 721st Troop Command (Battalion) provides command, control, and supervision to Army National Guard units attached, so as to provide trained and equipped units capable of immediate expansion to war strength and available for service in time of war or national emergency or when appropriate to augment the active army. The 72nd Troop Command's state mission is providing command, control, and supervision to assigned ARNG units employed in support of civil authorities in the protection of life and property and the preservation of peace, order, and public safety under competent orders of state authorities.
262nd Maintenance Company Provides command and control to assigned cellular platoons, modules, and teams performing sustainmentmaintenance (off-system repair and return to the supply system) operations.
160th Engineer Company Provides command and control of three to five vertical engineer platoons that probide specific engineering support to logic region (LR) 1-4. Constructs basecamps and internment facilities as well as construct, repair, maintain other vertical infrastructures in support of the corps or division and maneuver brigade combat team (BCT).
150th Engineer Detachment Provides command and control of engineer effects platoons that are necessary to conduct missions such as repair, maintain, construct air/ground lines of communication (LOC); emplace culverts; hauling; force protection; and limited clearing operations.
1049th Transportation Company Provides transportation support for the movement of bulk cargo, containers, and personnel. At Corps, this unit can be assigned to a Corps Support Command (COSCOM) and attached to a Transportation Motor Transport Battalion or to a Corps Support Battalion. At Echelons above Corps, this unit would be assigned to a Transportation Command Element and attached to a Transportation Motor Transport Battalion.
772nd Troop Command (Battalion)
The 722nd Troop Command (Battalion) provides command, control, and supervision to Army National Guard units attached, so as to provide trained and equipped units capable of immediate expansion to war strength and available for service in time of war or national emergency or when appropriate to augment the active army. The 72nd Troop Command's state mission is providing command, control, and supervision to assigned ARNG units employed in support of civil authorities in the protection of life and property and the preservation of peace, order, and public safety under competent orders of state authorities.
153rd Military Police Company The 153rd MP Company provides combat zone responsibilities to include protection of vehicle routes, defile control, route reconnaissance and straggler control. Can be utilized in direct combat and during peacetime. Five main functions include, maneuver and mobility support operations, area security operations, law and order operations, internment and resettlement operations, as well as police intelligence operations.
287th Army Band The 287th Army Band provides music throughout the full spectrum of military operations and instill in our soldiers the will to fight and win, foster the support of our citizens, and promote our national interests at home and abroad. Dating back over 230 years to the Revolutionary War, band members have always been an important part of the U.S. Army.
101st Public Affairs Detachment Provides direct public affairs support to units deployed in support of army, joint, combined, or unified operations. Contributes efforts in fulfilling the Armyâ€™s obligation to keep the American people and the Army informed, and helps to establish the conditions that lead to confidence in Americaâ€™s Army and its readiness to conduct operations in peacetime, conflict and war.
121st Medical Company (Air Ambulance) Provides aeromedical evacuation and support within the theater of operations. Supports base generation force (BGF) requirements. Serves under the quick reaction force (QRF) to assist state and local governments in the aeromedical evacuation during natural disasters, storms, and civil unrest.
Company A, 3rd Battalion, 238th Aviation Regiment Provides aerial C2 support, limited air assault, and air movement for an army divison. Performs command, control, and communications (C3) flights and air movement operations. Capable of performing aerial movement of troops, supplies, and equipment for support of maneuver, combat support, and combat service support operations.
Links Army Recruiting DNG News Contacts Training NCO 302-326-7731
Sources: Albert Adams, unpublished biography, courtesy James Adams
"I am the Guard", Michael Doubler, p. 227 A History of the Army National Guard, 1636-2000, Department of the Army Pamphlet No. 130-1, 2001
"The Delaware National Guard, A Historical Sketch", Donn Devine, Captain Artillery, Delaware National Guard, 1968
Lieutenant Jack D. Hunter, Arty., Del.NG “Delaware Guard at Fort Miles and Bethany Beach, Antiaircraft Journal September-October 1950,
Jack Hunter, “Our First Line of Defense, the National Guard”, Delaware Cavalcade Magazine, Autumn, 1950
Delaware Army National Guard, Fact Sheet Number 1, General Information 1 January 1970
Annual report to the Governor, by the Delaware National Guard, Fiscal Year 1986, MG Joseph M. Lank, Adjutant General, DE NG
Delaware National Guard Website, www. http://delawarenationalguard.com/aboutus/history/
Would you like to know more? We recommend the following book available at local Delaware bookstores and from Arcadia Publishing.
Delaware Army National Guard The Delaware National Guard traces its roots to 1655, when the Swedish Colonial government formed a militia to defend itself. That tradition carried through Dutch and then English control of the colony. The militia served in all five French and Indian Wars and then distinguished itself during the Revolutionary War as the First Delaware Regiment of the Continental Army, earning its "Blue Hen" nickname. The Delaware militia continued to serve in every major war, and currently it remains in the forefront. Images of America: Delaware Army National Guard presents images of this fabled organization that survived from the Spanish-American War to the present. The people, places, equipment, and facilities of the Delaware National Guard are illustrated in this compilation of historic photographs from the collection of the Delaware Military Heritage and Education Foundation.